Sunday 31 May 2009

High protection suncare for the face - MAC and Clinique reviewed



I am the typical English Rose - I have the whitest skin in the world! I have never had a tan in my life. The closest thing to a tan I have had was being the colour of a lobster! I find it's quite a pain to be so white.

I spent a lot of my childhood in Africa (I had parents who loved to travel!) and I did not really have much of a problem. Then I had a shock, two years ago I went on a holiday to Mauritius and after a couple of days I was feeling rotten and got prickly heat and after a trip to the chemist on the island I was told to cover up completely and stay out the sun!!! It was more than a little bit depressing! I now have to take allergy tablets 1 week before I travel abroad. So it is essential that not only I buy a good hat, I buy the appropriate creams and lotions.

My boyfriend lives in Athens and at the airport on the way to visit him last summer I bought a special bumper pack of Clinique Super City Block SPF 40! It is a little embarrassing in the mornings to apply all the different creams and things, I feel like a total prima donna! The only thing I really worry about is my face to be honest, I hate that red cheeked, red nosed 'british holiday look' so I applied the city block quite liberally to my face.

I did keep re-applying the block throughout the day, before and after swimming, but I noticed that my face was still slightly flushed at the end of the day. The lotion is actually quite thick, and it does feel like you have protection. When I returned to England I had a lot of freckles, which is a clear sign of sun damage. I was really upset because I followed the instructions and was very careful and still I got burnt!

I really do not know what to say about this product now. I loved the idea, but I am not really convinced it works in very hot climates (it was 40degrees-ish!). I do wear this whilst in England because I want to keep my skin looking youthful. The Super City Block is £ 12.23 for 40ml. You can wear it alone or underneath your makeup. I have tried both ways. To be honest it does work well with makeup (although it did feel a little more greasey that usual but I think that is to be expected with a product like this). It is also available in SPF 25, and 'New Derma White SPF 40' which apparently prevents dark spots and discolourations.

I found another excellent product and it's by MAC (surprise, surprise!) it's their prep and prime with face protectSPF 50! I found this not only to be an excellent makeup primer, and it gave me the confidence my face was being protected. Unfortunately the MAC UK website does not stock this product anymore, but it is still available in shops, and also in the USA.

The only downside of this product is that it is quite small, and you only get 30ml for about £24 (if I remember correctly!). Well, on the upside, it fits in your handbag very well!!! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment