Saturday 6 June 2009

Ebay and cosmetics - the good, the bad and the ugly (mostly ugly).

I don't know about you, but I love Ebay. I have bought everything from old records, clothing and books, things I need, to things I definitely don't need and even things that I didn't even know I needed - but did!

It's like being at a rummage sale as a kid at The Village Hall; I remember the excitement back then, never quite knowing if you'll find that hidden gem amongst all the junk! The hidden gem being an Evel Knievel stunt bike, and Sting and The Police videos - Yeah, I was a strange kid!

Recently I bought a limited edition lipgloss by MAC, from one of their past collections called 'Heatherette'. It was boxed and unused, but the product was released over a year ago. It arrived and I opened the tube and had a quick smell - the trademark vanilla scent was almost completely faded. I thought to myself, do I really want to put a year old product on my lips? The answer was no. I packaged the lipgloss up again and relisted it on Ebay - and made a £4 profit!

I am sure the lipgloss would of been perfectly fine, it wouldn't of killed me, but let's all remember that cosmetics arn't clothing -make-up has a use-by-date. Our threads can last years if looked after, after all vintage clothing can make more money than the hot new products off the shelves! This sadly can never be the same with our MAC collections....

What really bothers me about cosmetics and Ebay, is that people are selling products which are already tested, to half used! I pose the question, would you use a stranger's toothbruth? Then why on Earth would you BUY used lipstick or foundation? I understand there are techniques of making such products useable by dipping them in alcohol, but it's a real turn off for me. The below photo I found of a couple items for sale on Ebay right now. Any takers? Ewwwww!

Disgusting - used cosmetics being sold on Ebay

4 comments:

  1. Ok, granted the example you've used is disgusting but I have bought loaaaaads of brand new and sealed stuff off Ebay for cheaper than RRP.

    I love Ebay for beauty bargains. I tend to steer clear of MAC but I got one of the trip eye paletets off it last week. The seller worked at Heathrow and has access to duty free all day long. I got it for £20 - result!

    Saw your blog post on FB btw - follow me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your post on the Barry M FB group page! And I have to say, I'm liking the blog so far!

    I've got to agree with Yinka, you can find a lot of beauty bargains on eBay, for example the new Body Shop Shimmer Cubes, I managed to snap up 4 at a very good price (follow my blog to catch the upcoming review =D).

    You just have to have the patience to look through all the other cr*p first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for posting! It feels really nice knowing someone is reading my blog! hehe ...I was worrying for awhile that I was just typing to myself! lol :)

    True, I agree with you guys - I think it's really down to luck, I hear there are a lot of fakes on ebay - it's great to know you've snapped up some bargains!!! :D

    Lovely to meet you! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never buy used make up off Ebay, it really is gross and my skin is dodgy enough as it is without picking up anything off someone else lol, but I've picked up a few brand new and sealed bits that were a bargain too.

    ReplyDelete